Bariatric Surgery (Weight-Loss Surgery*)
Tennova Healthcare's Bariatric Program is a MBSAQIP Accredited Center – Comprehensive Center with Adolescent Qualifications. Visit Tennova Healthcare Center for Surgical Weight Loss for more information.
An effective weight-loss option
Losing weight can be extremely difficult, and for people who have 100 pounds or more to lose, it can be even more challenging. For some, weight-loss surgery may offer a solution where other methods have failed. Bariatric surgery can be life transforming, offering individuals an opportunity to lead a more active and satisfying life.
Bariatric surgery options
Tennova Healthcare’s bariatric surgery program provides education and support that begins before surgery and extends through recovery to ensure individuals are set up for success. Our bariatric surgery program includes nutrition and fitness education to provide individuals with the tools they need to maintain long-term weight loss. Tennnova Healthcare’s experienced surgeons specialize in bariatric surgery, and offer proven weight-loss techniques such as:
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding – A less-invasive procedure that places a device around the upper part of the stomach to help you feel full sooner and longer. It’s a healthy way to lose a significant amount of weight and enjoy long-term results. Surgeons can easily change the diameter of the band to meet weight-loss needs, and the procedure is also reversible. This technique offers less pain and trauma, and a quicker recovery than traditional weight-loss surgery methods.
- Gastric bypass – There are several types of procedures that are used, but all of them bypass part of the small intestine that absorbs nutrients. Bypass techniques involve stapling off an area of the stomach to create a smaller pouch or surgically removing part of the stomach, both of which create a smaller stomach area.
- Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy – Through five small incisions, each between one and two inches long, the surgeon removes approximately 70 percent of the stomach. This new stomach has a total capacity of just three to five ounces, which means patients feel full or satisfied after eating only two to four ounces of food.
- Biliary Pancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch – The Biliary Pancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (BPD with DS, BPD, Duodenal Switch, Biliopancreatic Diversion with DS) is a well established weight loss surgical procedure that provides excellent weight loss and long term resolution of comorbid conditions.
- Revision and Conversion Surgery – For a variety of reasons, patients may experience the need for revisions, corrections or conversions of their original operation. We are happy to evaluate your situation and recommend appropriate treatment.
Find out if bariatric surgery is right for you
Talk to your doctor to find out whether bariatric surgery is a good option for you.
*Weight loss surgery: Patient results may vary. Consult your physician about the benefits and risks of weight loss surgery.